Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Day 2

Just finished Day #2 of being gluten and dairy free.  What is making this way worse is the fact that I have a massive cold.  I was feeling okay this morning but when I started teaching and talking I turned into a hot coughing mess.  If I had know how I would have felt later in the day I would have stayed home. ugh.  Luckily we get tomorrow off and I can sleep in.  So, on to some more gluten/dairy free food.

So for dinner both last night and tonight I made chili and cornbread.  The chili was pretty simple:  ground beef, tomatoes and beans with some cumin, chili powder and garlic powder.  Not very spicy since that is not quite my thing.  I had bought a gluten free cornbread mix but I had to prepare it so it would be dairy free.

I got some earth balance vegan spread sticks (or something like that).  I melted a stick of it and used it in the cornbread in place of the normal butter.  It looked pretty similar to normal butter and melted just like it, maybe it would turn out okay.

The cornbread and chili went very well together.  I was pleasantly surprised at how good the cornbread turned out.  It tasted just like the normal kind although it was a little grittier.  I would definitely use this cornbread mix again, especially when I can go back to the normal dairy.

Other meals this week not so exiting.  Breakfast was some gluten free toast with vegan butter spread and some applesauce.  Meh, will write about gluten free bread later.  Lunch was a cooked chicken thight, some salad and an apple.  Will need to figure out some better school lunches because I feel I am going to get very sick of salad.

I went to a write-in for Nanowrimo and it was kind of frustrating that I couldn't get a pastry or a frappachino but i got a lemonade ice tea which was good.  I had the munchies when I got home so I ate the equivelent of gluten free ramen, woohoo.  It was okay, although I think my sodium levels in my body spiked after eating it.  Maybe only half of the seasoning packet next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment