Sunday, November 4, 2012

Day 1: Gluten Free/Dairy Free

So today was the first day on my gluten/dairy free diet.  Started off with some applesauce and passion fruit juice.  During weekends I am not a huge breakfast eater so this wasn't too big a deal.

For lunch I did a rice pasta with just some basic tomato sauce from Target.  I've already been doing some experimenting with gluten free pasta and unfortunately this one was not one of the better ones.  It claimed that it would stay al dente, even with overcooking, that was definitely not true even though I only cooked it the minimal time.  In fact the little spiral shapes started straightening out.  The pasta was extremely slimy, even after rinsing it.  Plus water got caught inside the little tubes which made my pasta sauce runny, blegh.  The taste was fine though.  I might use these noodles in a soup where the texture and water content would be better masked, not so much for Italian style pasta.

Spent a couple hours after lunch doing work but I got a craving for something sweet.  I had bought a box of Kinni Kritters Chocolate Animal Crackers which are gluten and dairy free.  I opened them up and had a handful  They were pretty good, at first they tasted pretty similar to chocolate teddy grams, maybe a little less sweet.  They are a little dry and powdery though when you are finished eating them, but overall a pretty good substitute for the real thing.  I would definitely buy them again when I just feel a need for some processed children's cookies :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment