Monday, December 17, 2012

Dessert Time

After dinner I like to have a little something for dessert although I would not say that I have a crazy sweet tooth.  When I have a food craving it is typically for more savory fare as opposed to sweet.  There are a few sweet things I like though.  The first would definitely be peanut butter cups.  The combination of peanut butter and chocolate is pretty much one of the greatest things in the world.  The second thing would be cake.  Being gluten free and having cake do not necessarily go hand in hand unfortunately.

When I was doing the gluten/dairy free thing I did a cake mix into cupcakes and although they tasted good initially while still warm from the oven they did not hold up very well afterwards and they were extremely heavy in comparison to regular cupcakes.  Plus the whole not including milk in it probably didn't help them either.

When I was in California I bought a package of Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Chocolate Cake mix at Berkeley Bowl.  Only cost $3 something as opposed to the $5 something here.  

I made it last night.  It was relatively simple, you add a stick of butter, 2 eggs, milk, water and some vanilla, blend and pour it in a pan or cupcakes like a normal cake mix.  The batter was a bit thicker and stiffer than normal cake batter so I was a bit worried.



I baked them the prescribed time and they certainly started looking and smelling like normal cupcakes.   I pulled them out and waited a few moments for them to cool down before digging in.  I was pleasantly surprised by how light they were in comparison to the other gluten free cupcakes I had made.  They were not super sweet or super chocolately but I was okay with that.  They actually reminded me of costco chocolate muffins without the chocolate chips.  I tend to eat cupcakes without frosting if its just for a post-dinner dessert so I didn't add frosting to these but I think they might be really good with frosting actually.  Sometimes a super sweet cake and lots of frosting is just too much sugar for me, I feel these would be a great middle ground.

My mom and brother also sampled the cupcakes and said they were pretty damn good as well.  Yay!  I still have 16 left so I stuck them in the freezer.  We will see how they hold up.  

No comments:

Post a Comment