Sunday, December 16, 2012

Gluten Free Bisquick

Blogging frequently is difficult.  Especially when one teaches full time and has lesson plans to do, papers to grade and general end of quarter business to attend to.  Even though I've been busy, gluten free eating is still going on.  Now that I am on Winter Break for 2 1/2 weeks I will have time to update more.  I will also be doing a lot more experimentation with gluten free cooking since I have a lot more free time.

So last weekend I found gluten free bisquick at my local Foodland.  I was pretty excited because you can do lots of things with gluten free bisquick.  I was not excited because a pound sized box cost $5.99 and that was on sale.  The gluten food markup+the Hawaii price markup=no bueno.  I bought a box anyway, I just had to try it.


From there I perused Betty Crocker's website and found that they have many gluten free recipes (that of course utilize their products.  They aren't exactly fine cooking but they are relatively quick and easy.  I would love to craft lovely gluten free meals from complete scratch but lets be real, I don't have time during the school week plus when you are cooking for one its an awful lot of work.  I used my bisquick on two recipes that I found on the website.  They are detailed below.

Sausage Cheese Balls
Betty Crocker Recipe here
My yum yums below (not the most attractive picture but taste is what matters to me:



Mmmm sausage, cheese and bread, there are a few of my favorite things (see my love of pizza expressed earlier)  I made these with a few alterations.  I doubled the amount of sausage and used chicken italian sausage.  I also used a mix of mozarella/parmesan cheese because that is what I had.  I also did not use the rosemary and parsley because Target didn't have either.  In the end I think that was totally fine because I used Italian sausage instead of just bulk pork so there were some spices and such in there already.  They definitely were not as doughy as they look in the picture. they were more like sausage balls but they turned out good.  The bisquick and milk did a good job of binding the cheese and sausage together.  I also felt that they had enough flavor that they did not need the dipping sauce as the recipe recommended.  I also refrigerated the extras and warmed them on the oven setting of my toaster oven the next day and they turned out pretty similar.  I would definitely make these again! 

Sloppy Joe Pot Pie
Betty Crocker recipe here
My yum yums below:

I was excited to do this to see how the gluten free bisquick stands up on its own.  I again messed with the recipe.  Instead of the hamburger with onion, cheese and canned sloppy joe sauce I mixed the hamburger with cheese, onion, a can of kidney beans and then I added some BBQ sauce that i had in my fridge to the mixture until I liked the taste.  I layered this into my pan and then added the bisquick, eggs and milk mixture on top as the instructions directed.  

It looked pretty nice coming out of the oven.  The consistency of the crust on top was pretty similar to things I've had with regular bisquick.  You could definitely tell that you used several eggs though, the dough had a very eggy taste and texture to it.  And because I'm weird I don't really like the taste and texture of eggs.  Still though, it was nice to have a dish that looked and tasted like the gluten equivalent does.  I might make this again, we'll see.

So after the gluten free bisquick worked so well I went and had my mom buy some more of the boxes on sale.  Its expensive but it's nice to find something so easy to use.  I will be using it over the next few weeks as I do more experimenting and cooking for the holidays.  


No comments:

Post a Comment